Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Requisition ID 2017-8299
Institutional Processes Assessment
1082 - PROCESS DESIGN, ASSESSMENT, AND IMPROVEMENT
US - CA - Pasadena
Business Operations and Finance
Minimum Years of Experience
Able to Obtain
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA's lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
JPL's Office of the Management System (OMS) has an opportunity for an Institutional Process and Assessment Specialist to join their team.
The OMS works with institutional management and all employees to ensure the following at the Laboratory:
- An effective and efficient Management System, including the development, deployment, assessment, and improvement of management policies, processes, and procedures
- Compliance to the Aerospace Standard AS9100 quality management system
- A strong linkage between the strategic planning activities of the Lab, including institutional objectives, and the Management System
- The acquisition of customer goals and requirements and assessing their fulfillment
- An effective continuous improvement program at the Lab, including the associated organizational change management to ensure the effective adoption of desired change
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things...do you?
The selected candidate will be expected to:
Facilitate Institutional continual improvement efforts as part of the Productivity Improvement Program collaborating with Line Management and Subject Matter Experts in the analysis and design of work processes to identify and execute continual improvement opportunities.
- Facilitate teams utilizing proven Lean Six Sigma tools and techniques to address opportunities for improvement utilizing techniques such as;
- Lean Manufacturing
- Statistical Analysis
- Statistical Process Control
- Value Stream Mapping
- Theory of Constraints
- Mistake Proofing
- Design of Experiment
- Product Development Kiazen
- Quality Functional Design
- Mentor and coach process improvement team members, LSS Green and Black Belts, and the Sponsors and Champions of process improvement projects, supporting the implementation of Lean Six Sigma tools necessary for a successful and timely completion of their projects. Develop the process controls needed to sustain improvements over time.
- Provide necessary training throughout the organization on the use of Six Sigma, Lean tools and methods.
- Coordinate internal certification program to develop in-house expertise for Lean Six Sigma.
- Communicate to and influence stakeholders of all levels regarding the value proposition of process improvement
- Act as change agent to build adoption of a customer service oriented quality culture throughout the organization and drive measurable business process improvements
- Analyze anomalies from distributed anomaly reporting systems and identify trends to Senior Management.
This position typically requires a Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 9 years of related continual improvement experience, a Master's degree with a minimum of 7 year of continual improvement experience, or a PhD degree and 5 years related manufacturing experience.
Other requirements include:
- LEAN Six Sigma Black certification (ASQ preferred).
- Proven analytical skills with capability to evaluate complex work processes and identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of operations.
- Experience facilitating continual improvement teams with demonstrated expertise of concepts, techniques and tools.
- Portfolio of project experience with proven results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Training and mentoring capability with references.
- Outstanding facilitation techniques with experience working in team environment.
- Statistical analysis experience and skills.
- Process orientation with excellent attention to detail.
- Professional demeanor and presentation with ability to interact with Executive Leadership and their direct reports.
- Ability to assimilate and disseminate information quickly.
- Project management orientation and driven to deliver results.
- Strong Microsoft Office skills, especially Excel spreadsheets and PowerPoint presentations.
Preferred qualifications include:
- LEAN Six Sigma Master Black Belt.
- Experience in Design, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance, Integration and Test, Verification and Validation, and/or Continual Improvement.
- Change Management Certification (e.g., ProSci or similar certification)
- Experience with one or more statistical applications (e.g., JMP, SigmaXL, MiniTab, SAS)
Caltech/JPL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Caltech/JPL to provide equal employment opportunities, actively recruit, and include for employment consideration all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.