At Washington County, you are given opportunities and challenges to embrace your potential and achieve your personal best, every day. The Operations and Maintenance Division within the Department of Land Use and Transportation is supported by 102 full-time staff who are responsible for road and bridge maintenance, emergency response, public right-of-way and environmental stewardship.
What you will find in our Land Use and Transportation Department is something special - purposeful work done with a shared set of values that brings us together. As the Operations and Maintenance Division Manager you will serve as the steward of the community. You will be responsible for ensuring that all infrastructure of unincorporated Washington County is maintained in a safe and attractive manner, in the most efficient and cost effective way possible.
Please use the following link to view the Land Use and Transportation Careers Website: LUT Careers.
Essential Job Duties:
- Plans, organizes, controls, integrates, and evaluates the work of the Operations and Maintenance Division; directs, oversees, and participates in the development of the division work program; and monitors work program activities to achieve department/division mission, goals, and performance measures against the division budget.
- Leads, motivates, and nurtures division staff to foster a healthy and successful workforce; participates in recommending the appointment of personnel; monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; and investigates and recommends disciplinary action to address employee performance deficiencies.
- Provides leadership and works with supervisors and professional staff to develop and retain highly competent, service-oriented employees through selection, training, and day-to-day management practices that support the department's mission and service expectations; provides leadership; and participates in programs and activities that promote workplace diversity and positive employee relations.
- Ensures and monitors the coordination of division work with the work of other department divisions, Washington County departments, agencies, and other entities.
- Establishes long and short term planning goals for the division; sets and communicates division priorities to subordinates; and provides general direction and oversight related to the activities of crews and personnel engaged in construction, inspection, maintenance, and repair of the Washington County transportation system.
- Develops strategies within the division to create a safety culture that is consistent with County and department loss control goals; provides leadership and sets an example that reflects the importance of safe work practices; and continually monitors and evaluates division performance against loss control goals.
- Maintains an emergency response readiness within the division to address county emergency/disaster-related events and daily unplanned response to community needs; and plans and organizes staff to provide emergency response.
- Serves on the Department Leadership Team to assist the smooth functioning of department and division projects, initiatives, and goals; participates in developing department policies; and takes leadership in implementing division programs and initiatives.
- Confers with the general public explaining laws and policies in response to requests and complaints and corresponds with public and private agencies.
- Oversees and participates in the preparation, implementation, and administration of the annual budget for the Operations and Maintenance Division; participates in the forecast of additional funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies, administers the approved budget; and prepares and presents annual budget recommendations.