The Public Works Manager is responsible for planning, organizing and managing the activities of the Engineering Services work unit in the Public Works Department and is responsible for the Engineering Plan Check, Chief Surveyor and Real Estate Sections.
Reporting to the Assistant Director, the incumbent provides professional and technical staff assistance to the Assistant Director, while exercising independent judgment related to the performance, coordination and evaluation of staff.
The Public Works Manager is a key member of the management team in the Department of Public Works and in this unclassified position the incumbent serves at the will of the Department Director.
The Public Works Department focuses on infrastructure development and revitalization activity in the City including land use planning, permit issuance, plan check, inspection services, and construction of public facilities. The Department also maintains and/or operates public facilities and assets such as traffic signals, streetlights, streets, sidewalks, median islands, urban forest, landscape maintenance districts, and pedestrian/bicycle trail projects.
The City of Fresno offers an attractive and competitive salary and benefits package. Information regarding the City of Fresno is available at www.fresno.gov.
Fresno is a full-service charter city operating under a strong mayor form of government. There are seven Council Members. The Council appoints the City Attorney and the City Clerk. The Mayor is elected at-large and does not serve on the Council, but has veto power over certain actions taken by the City Council. The City Manager, who is appointed by the Mayor, is responsible for appointing all department heads in the City, including Airports, Development and Resource Management, Finance, Fire, Information Services, Parks and Recreation, Personnel Services, Police, Public Utilities, Public Works, and Transportation.
The City of Fresno, CA is located in the heart of the state in the fertile San Joaquin Valley. From the agricultural fields on the valley floor to the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Nevada mountain range, the Fresno area offers something for everyone. With a population of approximately 509,000 residents, Fresno is the fifth-largest city in California and serves as the financial, industrial, trade, and commercial capital of the central San Joaquin Valley.
Travel from Fresno to other major metropolitan areas in California is convenient. The City is located approximately four hours north of the Los Angeles basin and three hours south of the San Francisco Bay Area. Residents and visitors enjoy Fresno's close proximity to the Yosemite, Kings Canyon, and Sequoia National Parks and other sites of natural beauty, such as the majestic Sierra Nevada Mountains and the Pacific Ocean. The Mediterranean climate in Fresno allows year-round recreational activities including sailing, snow and water skiing, fishing, backpacking, and golfing.
An added benefit of living in Fresno is the excellent housing that is available at price levels that are considerably lower than California's other large metropolitan areas. The current median home price in Fresno is approximately $210,000. The Fresno area offers four large school districts (Fresno Unified, Central Unified, Sanger Unified and Clovis Unified school districts), and a variety of private institutions offer excellent ongoing educational and enrichment opportunities. The community is the home of California State University Fresno, as well as a number of other colleges and universities.
Many consider Fresno to be a community of the perfect size, offering the best of urban amenities and opportunities along with the unique charms and easy living of a smaller town. Residents enjoy a wide variety of social, cultural, athletic, educational and recreational activities in an affordable and clean living environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
We welcome applicants of any race, gender, religion, ancestry or disability. For more information please refer to our Career Opportunities web page on the City of Fresno web site.
The City is seeking a strong leader who can effectively collaborate with staff and other divisions to accomplish its mission while successfully implementing new innovative procedures, equipment and technology.
Qualified Candidates Must Possess:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in engineering, construction, public administration, or a closely related field;
- Four years of experience supervising technical engineering, transportation, construction management, property management, building maintenance, facilities management or street operations activities. Additional qualifying experience may be substituted for the education on a year-for-year basis, up to a maximum of two years;
Valid registration as a Civil Engineer by the State of California is preferred.
Possess a valid California Driver's License at time of appointment. Candidates considered for hire must provide proof of a valid driver's license and current copy of their driving record.
In addition to the above, the following further describes the knowledge, skill, experience and attributes the ideal candidate for this position will possess:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, practices, methodologies, and techniques of public planning, land development and public administration;
- Extensive knowledge of requirements concerning the design, construction, and inspection methodology necessary for federal, state, and local funded road and bridge construction projects;
- Working knowledge of the Caltrans process for all types of projects, including major capital projects;
- Extensive experience with engineering plan review for subdivisions, commercial sites and major improvements to public facilities within the public right-of-way;
- Strong understanding of surveying principles, right-of-way and easement documents, encroachment agreements and the subdivision map act;
- Ability to prepare detailed written reports, including technical reports describing public works engineering projects and proposals;
- Ability to provide recommendations and professional opinions to the Assistant Director;
- Experience in preparing, evaluating, and analyzing various reports needed to monitor and measure the overall performance and effectiveness of the Division;
- Experience setting program goals and objectives, and developing and administering operational budgets;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of effective employee supervision;
- Initiative to drive and cultivate purposeful change with an emphasis on public service; and
- Highly experienced with computers and various engineering and design software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
How To Apply
APPLICANTS MUST COMPLETE AN ON-LINE APPLICATION. PLEASE VISIT WWW.FRESNO.GOV/JOBS TO APPLY. For information on how to complete an on-line application, please view "Instruction Guide" on the City's website, Personnel Services Career Opportunities page, or call (559) 621-6950 for assistance. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed employment application.
ALL CORRESPONDENCE regarding this recruitment will be sent via e-mail. All applicants will acknowledge such understanding when they complete their on-line application. Verify we have your correct e-mail address before you submit your application. It is an applicant's responsibility to check their email frequently to ensure they receive all pertinent communication from the Personnel Services Department on a timely basis. Applicants will receive an automatically generated confirmation e-mail upon a successful application submittal. The e-mail is the only proof of submittal.
It is an applicant's responsibility to check their email account and to ensure it is set up to accept emails from the City of Fresno. Dependent upon your settings, notices from the City of Fresno may be directed to the "junk mail" or "spam" folders. It is the applicant's responsibility to check these folders as well.
Applications must be submitted by midnight on the filing deadline or they will not be accepted for any reason. FOR THIS RECRUITMENT, IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT PERMANENT FRESNO CITY EMPLOYEES APPLY THROUGH PEOPLESOFT SELF SERVICE.
Interested and qualified applicants must submit an official City of Fresno application on-line at www.fresno.gov/jobs no later than March 15, 2018. For information on how to complete an on-line application, please view "Instruction Guide" on the City's website, Personnel Services Career Opportunities page, or call (559) 621-6950 for assistance.
Applicants deemed most qualified will be invited to interview for this rewarding and excellent opportunity.